Katy over at ModlyChic is asking all of us to share our New Year’s Resolutions today for Fashion/Beauty Friend Friday.
I don’t usually make resolutions or set goals or anything like that. However, after thinking about it for a bit, I’ve decided I can definitely set some goals for myself this year. After all, this year is special–I’ll be turning 30 in June–and in 2011 I did a pretty good job of sticking to a few things. So, after much consideration, here are my goals for 2012.
- Get back to the gym. I know, I look like I work out… but I don’t–I’m just blessed with great genes and a fast metabolism. But between my health insurance offering an incentive to hit the gym 3 times a week and my wanting to firm up a little and increase my flexibility, it’s time I hit the gym, even if I start small.
- Cook more, eat out less. With our crazy schedules, my husband and I rarely eat at home, and our fridge is usually empty. I need to start cooking more, even if it means making big batches and freezing stuff in small containers, and wasting less money on take-out, fast food, and restaurant meals. This goes for lunch too. Plus, it’s generally healthier, which makes this win-win.
- Wear jeans less. I wear jeans a lot, even with my self-imposed “dress code” in 2011, in which I tasked myself to not wearing sneakers to work and wearing a skirt or dress at least once a week. In 2012, I want to not only wear dresses and skirts more, but wear pants other than jeans more as well.
- Shop my closet first. I’m actually in the process of writing a whole separate blog about closet-shopping, but I’m really going to make a concentrated effort to start shopping my closet more and wearing those “closet orphans” I’ve hung onto and said, “sure, I’ll wear this”. In fact, when I have an event coming up, I will start planning my outfit with what I have in my closet, and not with new items.
- Thrift and swap more, buy less brand new stuff. This past year, I became pretty good at scoring some pretty awesome stuff at thrift stores and clothing swaps. So I’ve decided that in 2012, when I want new stuff, I’m going to turn to thrift stores and clothing swaps, and buy brand new stuff less.
- More DIY! With my recent acquisition of both a dress form and my grandma’s sewing machine–which will shortly mean a dedicated craft space in the house–I’ve decided I can start taking on some heavier DIY projects. Not only will I be able to start altering things to fit me better, but I’ll have space to start doing some bigger jewelry projects and recently fell in love with dying stuff. So in 2012, I’ll be doing more of all of that!
That’s it. Looking at it all, it seems like a lot, but not usually making resolutions, I’m not really sure. Anyway, it all seems like it’s really attainable stuff, which is good–goals are supposed to be. So I’m looking forward to 2012 and starting to implement these changes in my life (though some I have started already–is that cheating?). Hopefully they’ll result in being happier, spending less money, and an overall better lifestyle.