So after spending
a week 7 not-quite-consecutive days duplicating a variety looks from different places via my Dup-A-Look Pinterest board, I’ve learned some things and come to some conclusions. Here are my random thoughts on the whole process, the challenge, and whatever else related to the Dup-A-Look Challenge.
- Planning numerous outfits out in advance is an excellent idea. I will be doing this on a regular basis from now on, dupes or not!
- Trying stuff on in advance is an even better idea. Things that work great while on hangars don’t always work on bodies. At all. Yeesh!
- I started with printing out photos, and it was a good idea in theory, but it was almost always easier to look at pics on my phone or computer. On the phone/computer I could zoom in and was less likely to miss a fine detail. I was so conscious of saving paper that I made the images too small to see details like jewelry or makeup, and I wanted to be able to dupe the look in its entirety whenever possible.
- After a week of using images to plan outfits, it’s actually kinda hard to go back to getting dressed without consulting your phone first. And yes, I realize that’s weird.
- Coming up with a base set of outfits to duplicate is a good idea in theory, but that doesn’t mean they’ll always work out.
- Always double-check the source of the pin before the second you go to dupe the look. Sometimes, the source isn’t the original, and that means more work later on.
- Oh, and sometimes the original post has more images, like detail shots, better poses, and more, all of which can be helpful.
- Never be afraid to try something new. You never know what you might like!
- Don’t be afraid to pull inspiration from outfits you (or others) think are ugly or scary. With the right pieces and the proper fit, almost anything can look good!
- Next time I’ll be planning more looks with flats. I just can’t do 4″ heels 2+ days in a row any more! (And yes, that makes me sad.)
This was a really fun challenge, that pushed me to try new things and wear stuff I normally wouldn’t. Because I had such a fun time with it, I’m going to do it again this month, starting October 21. If you have something you’d like to see me dupe, leave me a link in the comments, or email one to me!
Let’s get social!
Follow me on all of your favorite social media sites! Just click the icon to go!
You can always email me at firstname.lastname@example.org