It’s already the beginning of August, and that means fall will be here before you know it! So what’s trending for fall 2012? Well, let’s take a look…
Fall colors have long been a favorite of mine. They’re usually rich, jewel-inspired tones that work on virtually anyone. I’ve always liked darker colors (maybe because I’m not always the neatest, and darker colors are harder to stain?) and fall colors always just seem to shine, just like the leaves changing on the trees. As you know, Pantone always comes out with a color report for each season. Pantone has the following colors trending for fall 2012.
Now, it’s worth noting that these colors aren’t required for designers, and it’s not necessary to use all of them–or any of them, for that matter–when designing. It is, however, a good guideline for us “normal folk” who are looking to add pieces to our wardrobe, or trying to make what we already have work for the season.
Fabrics, Styles & More
Much like the colors, I’ve had an affection for fall fabrics for quite awhile. I think it’s because the ability to layer is easier, and because the textures are usually richer and more fun, but the bulk of winter fabrics isn’t there. You can wear heavier fabrics in fall, like flannel, wool-blends, suedes and leathers (or the vegan equivalents). Fur (faux or otherwise) also usually starts to make an appearance. In terms of specific things seen on the runway, here’s what’s trending for fall 2012.
- Reptile Print
- Fur Trim & Accents
- Black & Blue Combinations
- Long Blazer-Inspired Coats
- Floral Print
- Thick Knits
- Tuxedo Pants
- Graphic Print Sweaters
- Winter Whites
- Long Skirts With High Slits
There’s more, of course, but that’s the stuff that stuck out to me. Granted, I definitely won’t be rocking all of them, but they’re definitely things to keep in mind when looking through my closet and seeing what I have that works. Especially since I’ve decided not to shop for awhile!
Making It Work
A preliminary look through my closet shows that I actually have a ton of stuff that will work this fall. In fact, I did a quick pull of stuff that, at a glance, is on-trend and perfect for layering up this fall and pulled over 45 pieces! I narrowed it down to 24 items I’m looking forward to styling soon. Here they are…
From left to right, top to bottom, are the following great items:
- A floral buttondown shirt with 3/4 length sleeves that’s perfect by itself or layered under sweaters, cardigans, or vests.
- A grey faux-leather puffy vest that can go sporty or chic depending on what it’s paired with.
- An oversized mustard yellow sweater that’s great with pants or skirts.
- A hot pink corduroy jacket that’s got military-inspired written all over it.
- A long, chunky-knit sweater vest with a faux fur collar.
- A blue velvet blazer with gold buttons. Perfect as a light jacket or for layering on cooler days.
- A pale pink, cowl-neck cashmere sweater that used to be my grandma’s. Soft and cozy, but elegant as well.
- Snake skin print ankle booties!
- A beautiful right green buttondown shirt. A thrift find I wore in spring and look forward to rocking in fall.
- The infamous Pug Pants! The color is perfect for fall… we’ll see if I can swing wearing ‘em.
- A super chunky, brown plastic chain necklace will make a perfect statement this fall.
- This geek-chic polo shirt has all the right colors in it.
- My blue velvet shoes can transition right into fall, yay!
- I knew I was saving this long-sleeved lace shirt for a reason. Perfect for fall’s lacy trend.
- A sale find, this copper pleather skirt will be great with tights this fall.
- A oldie but goodie, this sweater vest has beautiful floral detailing that’s on-par with fall’s color trends.
- This geometric knit sweater vest has 3 colors in it that are close enough to 3 in fall’s palette, making it perfect for layering.
- This beautiful silk dress has a variety of colors in it that will work this fall. And it has pockets!
- These wedge booties are very military-inspired and grey. Perfect.
- This long cardigan is a rich mustard yellow, and it’ll look great with pleather pants!
- So glad plaid is in because I love this shirt, and it’s got three fall colors in it!
- My black pleather-front pants will be making lots of appearances, I just know it.
- Pretty much my entire scarf collection works with the fall 2012 color palette and trends!
- This animal print skirt works with the colors, and it has a bit of lace peeking out. Sweet.
I could have easily shared another 24 items from my closet that work for fall, from shoes and bags to dresses and sweaters. It’s great, and I’m really excited for this fall season, and to work with everything I have! I’m pretty sure this is why fall is my favorite season when it comes to fashion.
Check out these sites for more on what’s trending for fall 2012, as well as some great looks from the runway.
- Marie Claire’s Fall 2012 Fashion Trends Slideshow
- Refinery 29’s 6 Fall Trends You Need To Shop Right Now
- The New York Runway Report: Fall 2012 from Harper’s Bazaar
- NY Mag’s look at the 14 biggest trends from the fall 2012 runways
Let’s get social!
Follow me on all of your favorite social media sites! Just click the icon to go!
You can always email me at firstname.lastname@example.org